History Of The Hyperion Stakes
12 June, 2018
- The Hyperion Stakes was first run in 1972 and won by St Just.
- It has held Group 3 status since 1980.
- The 2005 Hyperion Stakes run at Belmont Park.
- Notable winners: Detonator (1976), Asian Beau (1979), Fimiston (1988), Heron Bridge (1984-1986), Jacks Or Better (1995), Luckygray (2012) & Scales Of Justice (2017).
- Multiple winners: Cambana Lad (1973-1974), Heron Bridge (1984-1986) and Marasco (2008-2010).
- Three riders share the Hyperion Stakes record
- Stephen Miller: Brave Kite (1994), Bar Dreamer (1997) & Old Fashion (2002).
- Jason Brown: Country Blazer (2001), Tribula (2003) & No Questions (2007).
- Paul Harvey: Willoughby (1998), Local Legend (2006) & Marasco (2008).
- Jeff Noske rode Star System (1999). His son Jarrad guided home Fuschia Bandana (2015).
- Lucy Warwick became the sole female to ride the winner of the Hyperion Stakes when partnering Wink And A Nod (2016).
- Dan Staeck: Marasco (2010)-Scales Of Justice (2017), Keith Watson: Herron Bridge (1984-1986), Ian Albuino: Fimiston (1988)-Craft Memory (1993) and Shaun O’Donnell: Luckygray (2012) & Lakeside Rhythmn (2005) are dual Hyperion Stake winners.
- Vern Brockman has prepared three Hyperion Stakes winners, the best in the races history. He became the first trainer to go back-to-back when Alpine Wind (1977) and Junction Girl (1978) were successful. Old Fashion (2002) gave him his third.
- Dual winners include Noel Donovan: Herron Bridge-(1984-1986), Ross Taylor: Sky Filou (1987), Barossa Boy (1991), Ross Price: Medicine Kid (1990), Jungle Hero (1992), Fred Kersley: Marasco (2008-2010) & Justin Warwick Black Tycoon (2013) & Wink And A Nod (2016).
- John Price, brother of Ross, joined his sibling on the Hyperion Stakes honour roll when Local Legend proved successful in 2009.
- Barrier 1: eight wins
- Barrier 4: seven wins
- Barrier 5: six wins
- Barrier 2: five wins
- Barrier 9: five wins
- Barriers 3, 6, 7: three wins
- Barriers 8 & 13: two wins
- Barriers 10 & 2: one win.
- Geldings: 25 wins
- Mares: 9 wins.
- Entire: 8 wins.
- Colts: 2 wins. (Sky Filou (1987) & Asian Beau (1979).
- No fillies have recoded wins
- Three out of the past four years have been won by mares: Wink And A Nod (2016), Fuchsia Bandana (2015) & Elite Belle (2014).
BELMONT SPRINT/HYPERION STAKES
- Tribula (2003), Marasco (2008), Luckygray (2012), Elite Belle (2014) & Wink And A Nod (2016).
In 2005 the judges couldn’t split Lakeside Rhythm, trained by Paula Wagg and ridden by Shaun O’Donnell and Ambers Halo, Muchea-prepared by Alan Mathews and under the guidance of Jason Whiting.
||Scales Of Justice
||Wink And A Nod
||King Kool Kat