Roma Cup: What History Says
18 May, 2017
ROMA CUP BACKGROUND
- Perth’s premier winter sprint was first run in 1966 and won by Summer Storm, a six-year-old gelding that was trained by Harold Campbell and ridden by Danny Miller.
- The Roma Cup was run over 2000m in 1966, 1600m in 1967, 1968 & 1974, 1400m in 1969-70 and 1200m from 1980. From 1980 it has held Group 3 status.
- In 1968 Drynoch was first past the post but lost on protest to Santaland.
ROMA CUP JOCKEYS
- Tom Pike holds the best Roma Cup riding record with four wins: Firelight (1969), Star Glitter (1971), Tangiers (1980) and Hanging On (1986).
- Mark Sestich, Paul Dyson, Paul King and Paul Harvey have won the race on three occasions.
- Riders involved in Saturday’s Roma Cup who have tasted success previously include, Shaun McGruddy, Dan Staeck, William Pike, Peter Knuckey and Jason Brown,
- Staeck won it twice with Grand Nirvana (2009-2011), as did Jason Brown aboard Magnifisio (2014) and Avenida Madero (2005), McGruddy partnered Is Amazing (2006), Pike won his first last year on Battle Hero and Knuckey combined with Power Princess (2013).
- Jarrad Noske (Rock Magic), Aaron Mitchell (Respondent), Craig Staples (Great Shot), Jerry Noske (Red Ora), Pat Carbery (Pounamu), Brad Parnham (Lite’n In My Veins), Troy Turner (Balmont Girl), Glenn Smith (I’m Feeling Lucky), Matthew Autier (Military Reign), Mitchell Pateman (Dream Lifter) and Joe Azzopardi (Caipirinha) are aiming for their first Roma Cups.
- Pateman’s father, Michael Pateman, rode Novrak to victory in 1985. Novrak was trained by Noel Pateman, Mitchell’s grandfather and Michael’s father.
- Brown grandfather, Reg Treffone, trained King Orator to victory in 1970.
- Staple's father, Ross Staples, rode Clear Mak to the first of his dual wins in 1973.
ROMA CUP TRAINERS
- Albie Beckett, Len Pike, Brian Boyle, Buster O’Malley, Trevor Andrews, Jim Taylor and Fred Kersley have won the Roma Cup a record equalling three times.
- Kersley and Taylor can set a new benchmark with the former saddling Ihtsahymn, Lite’n In My Veins, Respondent and Divine Calling, and the latter, Gigante.
- Kersley enjoyed success previously with Is Amazing (2006) and Grand Nirvana (2009-2011).
- Taylor prepared Avenida Madero (2005), Vain Raider (2010) and Magnifisio (2014).
- Grant Williams, now in partnership with Alana Williams, won last year’s Roma Cup with Battle Hero.
- Alana Williams can win it a second time after guiding home Tribula in 2003.
- The husband and wife team can win it as a combination with I’m Feeling Lucky.
- Simon Miller, who has Caipirinha, can claim a second victory after Power Princess won in 2013.
- Chris Gangemi (Rock Magic-Durendal), Geoff Durrant & Jason Miller (Battle Hero), Paul Hunter (Dream Lifter), Rhys Radford (Great Shot), Dan Morton (Red Ora), Alan Mathews (Pounamu), Paula Wagg (Balmont Girl), Darren McAuliffe (Military Reign), Ben Pearce (Testamezzo) and Peter & Matt Giadresco (Profit Street) are out to claim their maiden Roma Cup success.
- Radford can join his father on the Roma Cup honour roll after Warren Radford’s Kaprats proved too strong in 2002.
ROMA CUP GENDER
- Geldings have won the Roma Cup on 24 occasions including seven out of the past nine.
- Entires have taken out the race 12 times and mares 11, the latest Magnifisio (2014).
- 12 of the 16 runners on Saturday are geldings.
- Balmont Girl, I’m Feeling Lucky and Military Reign are the only three mares competing.
- Caipirinha is looking to become just the second filly to win the Roma Cup, joining Wildside in 1982.
ROMA CUP BARRIERS.
- Barrier four is the most successful Roma Cup starting position with seven wins.
- Barriers 10 and five have the next best record with six wins each.
- Barriers one and six have taken the race out five times.
- Barriers two, three and nine have won four races apiece.
- Barrier 11 has three wins.
- Barriers seven, eight and 12 have been successful once.
- The least successful barriers with no wins are gates 13, 14 and 15.
ROMA CUP FIRST-UP/LEAD-UP
- Since 2000 four Roma Cup champions have won their previous and/or lead up race.
- Great Shot, Pounamu and Caipirinha were last-start winners.
- Since 2000 seven Roma Cup champions have won first-up off a spell.
- Ihtsahymn, Divine Calling, Great Shot, Rock Magic, Dream Lifter, Red Ora, Pounamu, Balmont Girl, I’m Feeling Lucky are first up this campaign.
MULTIPLE ROMA CUP WINNERS
If successful Battle Hero will become the seventh horse to win multiple Roma Cups, joining Clear Mak (1973-1974), Tangiers (1980-1981), Wild Side (1982-1983), Doctor Golly (1992-1993), Grand Nirvana (2009)-2011), Luckygray (2012-14).
ROMA CUP WINNERS SINCE 2000